Tuesday, May 23, 2023

‘The Little Mermaid’ side-by-side comparisons prove my inner child has every right to have faith in the live-action adaptation

I remember the first time I watched the 1989 version of The Little Mermaid as if it was yesterday. It was a Sunday morning, and I was curled up in a pile of blankets at the foot of my parents’ bed with a bowl of cereal in my lap, watching Ariel twirl a fork through her hair while yearning to be part of our world. I was a young boy, she was a young girl, but it didn’t matter. Her longing for a new life translated into my own hidden longing I was only beginning to understand. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it yet, but I dove headfirst into it anyway and never looked back. 

You can imagine my disappointment, then, when it was announced Disney planned to remake this favorite film of mine with a live-action edition. After all, the company doesn’t have the best track record with live-action remakes. Over time, minor changes were fed to us such as Halle Bailey becoming the first Black Ariel, Ursula as King Triton’s sister, and a few song lyrics here and there being altered for a modern audience



from Movie News | Movie Reviews | Movie Trailers https://ift.tt/kSuUOgr
Previous Post
Next Post

0 comments: