Friday, May 26, 2023

I don’t need Rotten Tomatoes critics to tell me how to feel about ‘The Little Mermaid,’ or any other Disney remake for that matter

Picture this: It’s the day before the premiere of the movie you’ve waited all year to see. You open your phone, navigate to Rotten Tomatoes, and immediately wish you hadn’t after seeing the critic score next to the big bright red tomato (or green splat); Rob Marshall’s The Little Mermaid is worse than seven other Disney live-action remakes, according to the website. So, you trepidatiously drag your feet to the movie theater and spend the subsequent two hours and fifteen minutes with a cautious smile on your face. You love it. But you walk out of the movie theater wondering if you would’ve loved it more had you not been primed to hate it. 

I have found myself caught up in these series of events more times than I care to admit. Like almost everyone, I am easily swayed by the court of public opinion. If you tell me a movie is bad, I will unconsciously reject any positive reaction I have to it because surely I’m missing the point. It happened with Cruella, it happened with Christopher Robin, it happened with Beauty and the Beast, Maleficent (one and two), and yes, The Little Mermaid.



from Movie News | Movie Reviews | Movie Trailers https://ift.tt/5EiCoKA
Previous Post
Next Post

0 comments: