Sunday, December 18, 2022

Review: ‘World of Warcraft: Dragonflight’ lifts an aging MMO to new heights

While playing the newest expansion, Dragonflight, I experienced several World of Warcraft “firsts.” For the first time in 14 years, I declined a summon to a dungeon because I was having too much fun flying there. For the first time, I slowed down when leveling because I got distracted by the multitude of optional unlocks, reputation grinds, and exploration. And for the first time in a long time, I find myself playing WoW only because I want to, never because I feel like I have to. 

According to the developers, we’re entering the third “phase” of World of Warcraft’s development. The second, the “AP” era (Artifact Power, Azerite Power, Anima Power), was much bemoaned by the community at large. These systems relied on “borrowed power,” a mechanic by which characters would become stronger within bespoke systems that would then be scrapped at the end of the expansion. These systems also relied on keeping up — if you didn’t grind your arbitrary number up you’d quickly fall behind the pack. 



from All the latest Gaming News, Reviews, Trailers and Gameplay Previews! PC and Console! https://ift.tt/0zFRsT8
Previous Post
Next Post

0 comments: